My Mom used to make me this yummy eggs and toast dish when I was a kid. She cut toast into small squares and topped it with soft boiled eggs. I love this breakfast and so does my son Ben. I’ve been thinking about how to swank it up a bit and this is what I came up with. Homemade croutons topped with poached eggs. Today I got all silly and added slices of bacon, roasted asparagus, fine chopped heirloom tomatoes and dusted it with Parmigiano Reggiano. Oh my YUM!
Ready to make it yourself ?
- 4 Tablespoons good olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 baguette cut into small cubes, about 4 cups, day old is best
- 6-8 poached eggs, if you don’t know how to poach eggs, Julia Child is the best teacher, get her cook book
- 4 Tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano, grated fresh over the eggs while they’re HOT!
- optional – slices of cooked bacon or chopped cooked sausage or crumbled cooked spicy chorizo, let your imagination go wild.
- optional – roasted Asparagus or sauteed Kale or sauteed spinach, any greens that you like with eggs
To roast Asparagus, toss with a small amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. Line baking sheet with a single layer of asparagus and roast for 15 minutes at 375.
Make the croutons first, melt the butter with the olive oil until foamy and hot, add cubed bread and quickly toss so the bread absorbs all the butter and oil, season with salt and pepper. Toss in hot saute pan until bread is browned and crispy. Drain onto a baking sheet lined with paper towels. These will crisp up more as they cool.Now you can assemble your plate. Place some asparagus and bacon on your plate, top with croutons. Add hot poached eggs on top of croutons and grate fresh Parmigiano Reggiano over the top. Eat right away and enjoy!This is not a low cal meal, but it sure is good to eat and beautiful to serve up for guests. So far my recent guests have loved it. Try it out and let me know how it works out for you. Cheers!!