You would think I get enough of pancakes since I make these at work everyday. This pancake is a grown up version of the chocolate chip pancakes that kids love, but with a gourmet twist. I’m guessing it won’t be sweet enough for the kids so that means more for you:) This basic pancake recipe below is very cool, adding in the cornstarch really makes them fluffy and light. I almost always use kefir when a recipe calls for buttermilk, cause thats what I have in my fridge. Cocoa nibs are rad. get some. Ready?Here what you’ll need.
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups plain kefir or buttermilk
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup Cocoa Nibs
- Grapeseed oil for griddle
- Maldon salt for finishing
- Orange zest for finishing
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil for finishing
- Warm REAL Maple Syrup
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowlWhisk wet ingredients together in small bowlWhisk wet into dry gently until just combined. add cocoa nibs, fold in carefully. rest for 30 minutes. don’t short cut on this. I’m serious, don’t be lazy, plan ahead and do it right….or else.Get your griddle or pan HOT, cast iron is the best for pancakes, you get those crispy browned edges:) any pan will work of course. I use grapeseed oil for high heat cooking, but I was thinking coconut oil would probably be great for these pancakes, someone try it and let me know how it went. K here’s the cool grown up part…..serve these with a drizzle of really good extra virgin olive oil instead of butter, warm maple syrup, sprinkling of cocoa nibs, maldon salt and orange zest! I personally love the chocolate orange combo….unlike my friend Amy aka Mighty Mouse….sooooo Amy tell me… how would you serve these up?….called you out girl. bring it….
First blog post from my new mini kitchen, worked out pretty well if I say so myself. How about some comment love people?!?!?!